Saturday, December 10, 2011

Silhouette Advent Calendar

Merry Christmas Everyone!! I finished my Silhouette Advent Calendar a couple of weeks ago and just finally got around to posting it! Can't find daylight hours around here during the winter to get a great shot. If you know me, you know that I LOVE my silhouette! Best purchase I ever made for this hobby. And maybe if I'm good, Santa will bring me a Cameo...wink, wink!
I love making paper crafts for holidays around the house. I love to scrapbook but I really have more fun making things like this! I have a lot of turquoise and pink holiday accents so I decided to go with the Eskimo Kisses line from BG. I only had about 6 full sheets left and an almos full 6x6 pad...I looked everywhere for some more of that paper line but I was out of luck. So I decided to cut the drawers with white cardstock...used the Recollections line from Michaels because it cuts so well. I then created a custom cut to cover the front by deleting some of the shape.


My first step was to decide which spots would have boxes and which one would have drawers. I started by picking my favorite shape, day 13. That star is just too stinkin adorable! After I chose the box, I put a large button in that square to show that I picked that spot. I then worked my way around, picking the other boxes. And wrote down all of the numbers and if the spot was a drawer or box.


I made all the boxes first, then the drawers. I used liquid glue, double sided tape, and glue dots, depending on the cut. I think that you could get away with the liquid glue...this too a TON of adhesive. Almost everything here was used with supplies I already had on hand! the only extra purchases was the silver bungee cords and the tiny bells.


I'm an ecclectic person so I couldn't just pick one technique like stamping, glittering, embossing, and misting...I had to play with them all. I'll try to share as much information as I can on which supplies I used and how I created some of the embellishments.


For the boxes that have a single number on red paper, such as 13 and six, I cut out the shape and used Goosebumps by Tsukineko. Its a clear texture spray that puts a bumpy embossed like finish on your paper. Kind of like clear heat embossing without the mess. I gotta say that I LOVE this product and it was so easy to use. Anyhoo, I used my misting box to spray the number, then immediately sprayed some Mr Huey in white right over the wet finished...gave it a slight snowy look.
The glitter is Stampendous silver crushed glass glitter. This product is gorgeous and if you are afraid to use glitter, do what I do and use double sided tape or score tape! Just push it on after you sprinkle it and it doesn't come off!
I also used various cuts from my Silhouette to create the numbers, phrases, and some of the shapes.
The chipboard snowflakes and the glitter brads are from Little Yellow Bicycle. I used those at the end of the project when I wanted to finish this up quickly! I put a Hero Arts sequin between the brad and snowflake for an extra kick.
The little numbers are "Numero" 7 Gypsy stamps. Got these from Hobby Lobby and its a stamps set with all kinds of numbers...love this set! I used gray ink and covered them with diamond stickles.
Also used some various stamps here and there...I think they are American Crafts, Making Memories, Studio Calico, and Hero Arts.
Still with me? lol :)
...just noticed that some of the boxes are sitting perfectly straight on the shelf...that cause my kids are having a blast with this so its a used product :)

1 comment:

Staci said...

*Gasp* It's beautiful, Carla!! Happy holidays! :-)