Sunday, October 04, 2009

Halloween Topiary

Right now all I can say is that my scraproom is a terrible mess...counters are covered in crafting supplies, stuff all over the floor, yet I didn't even scrap this weekend. I did make a decorating project, however, but I made it at the kitchen table.

I've seen so many Christmas trees on 2peas lately using styrofoam and folded patterned paper. I literally made an emergency stop to Michaels on day this past week just before they closed because I was dying to make the Christmas tree. Problem was that I couldn't find any double sided Christmas paper...LOL. I was thinking about it more and came up with an idea to make a tree for Halloween but different. I'm pretty happy about this tree, what's even better is that everything here came from Michael's or Hobby Lobby's general crafting section. Its so fun to take some basics and turn it into something of your own. OK, I'm going on...but here's the supplies and instructions:

Supplies: Terra Cotta Pot, 2 different sized styrofoam balls and one square one, a wooden dowel, black and purple paint, glittered modge podge, wired glittery ribbon, straight pins, potting grass, double sided halloween paper, small foam black and orange glittery balls, wooden fence, and Krylon glitter spray.

Instructions:

Paint the terra cotta pot with black metallic paint, let dry and add a coat of the glittery modge podge, hot glue the square piece of foam inside of the pot. Let dry. Spray paint the styrofoam balls (this is where I messed up, I let my kids paint them black and it took hours to dry). Use a skewer or other tool to make a hole in one end of the smallest one and push through until you reach the middle.

Cut the dowel rod to size and paint purple or any other color.

Cut up the patterned paper. I used 12x12 sheets and cut about 16 pieces that were 12" long. I stack 4 of them on top of each other and wound it around the pencil to curl it. Cut the curled piece into 6 segments...don't measure, just eyeball it, you don't want all the pieces to be the same lenthwise or across. Start pinning the curled pieces with normal length straight pins. Leave the area around the hole bare until later. Take the second, larger ball and skewer a hold through the middle all the way through to the other end. Cover the ball with the patterned paper leaving space around the holes again. Put a hole in the middle of the square styrofoam and pour some hot glue into the hole. Put the rod into the pot, then feed the larger ball, then the smaller one, leaving space in between, do not feed the smaller ball all the way through the rod. Fill in the bare spaces with more PP strips and add ribbon and small ornaments with hot glue. Take project outside and spray the PP with glitter spray. Fill in the pot with the potting grass and add a broken fence.

Hopes this helps...if you have any questions, please ask.

Check out this party happening at Be Inspired Party at Rooms to Inspire!

In a couple of days I'll be sharing some more infomation about my trip to California and also a great piece of furniture I got for my scraproom!

9 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Carla this is GORGEOUS!! LOVE the idea! So pretty to look at! Bet you had fun making it!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

Carine Hartman said...

Hello Carla,

I love your haloween tree. Haloween is not a popular feast in the Netherlands.So we don't scrap a lot about haloween. But I like those colors and the little fence is so cute. It looks like a lot of work. But I think it's great.

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful...how very creative!!!

Deneen said...

This is so stinking cute I love it!

Staci said...

Wow! That is so creative! Love it! :-)

Sasha Farina said...

that is looking awesome Carla! make one for me! LOL.. kidding!

Sierra said...

O my gosh, Carla! I love Halloween, it's one of my favorite holiday's. This is so cool! I have to try it.

laura vegas said...

this is awesome carla! i know you spent a ton of time on this .. and it shows! cannot wait to see your new piece of furniture ;)

Room to Inspire said...

What a super cute topiary. It is fabulous when you can take general supplies and make something really unique and your own. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today. When you have a chance please add a link back to the party. Thanks!

Chelsea