Saturday, January 23, 2010

A framed collage

Long time, no post...oh my!! I had to quickly share this. I've been dying to make a collage in a frame to hang in my house. I've been learning bit by bit from my good friend Laura, who is a professional collager! She emailed me some tidbits and advice about making these in photoshop and I was so excited to get started but then my computer broke.
So Laura posted some awesome info HERE on her blog and then she was featured in the CK blog for an educational step by step into collaging (you can see that entry HERE). When it comes to PSing, I have a grade of about a C-. I can do basic stuff but I always had a problem with resizing, so Laura gave me some hints and it just opened my eyes! Then after seeing the CK blog, I learned from her how to copy and paste the pics by using the rectangular marque tool. I always had a problem moving my pics on my canvas and that hint really helped. Make sure your pics all have a 300 dpi. Super important or your pics will not be the correct ratio to the canvas.
I made my collage on an 8.5x11 canvas and resized my pics to 2" wide by 2.5" tall. For the background I used Contact cork paper (from Michael's) and stuck it right to the back part of the frame. I found this frame is a closet that I was cleaning...good find!
The year and the photocorners were made using the Slice. Perfect tool since everything needs to be flat here. I used repositionable adhesive on everything here so that I can take everything off and replace the photo and embellishments next year with. Then I'll take this photo sheet and scrap it...probably using everything here. Thanks for looking.
Supplies Used:
11x14 frame (Hobby Lobby?)
Cork Paper: Contact
Patterned Paper and Flash Card: October Afternoon
Letter Stickers, Slice Machine (Studio Findings card): Making Memories
Embossing Folder: Cuttlebug

5 comments:

Sara said...

This is gorgeous Carla! I have to figure out how to do this--Laura's tips are awesome! I need some serious quiet time to sit at the computer & figure this out--I love this idea!!

Deneen said...

Carla great job. I am currently making a few collages for real close friends who have birthdays coming up and I want to surprise them. Laura is the greatest at the whole collage thing gotta love her!

laura vegas said...

this turned out so stinkin cute! love the cork ... i'm a sucker for framed cork things. which explains the 9 framed things in my house with cork. lol! great job!

Sasha Farina said...

that is so precious. I need to make one for my family!

Heather Ruwe said...

i want to make one now! thanks for sharing! :)